Traction is a network of individuals of Christian faith offering men and women an experience in supportive and enriching environments where they are mentored and challenged to pursue individual and shared goals.
- Traction started 9 years ago in Boston with one multi-family home where young residents aged 18-25 lived alongside mentors in single-sex apartments.
- Traction participants commit themselves to disciplines of work and learning meant to empower them to transition into healthy independent living situations.
- Today, the Traction network includes individuals in Boston, MA and Central Falls, RI who support the discipleship and self-actualization journeys of others who have become part of the Traction Family.
How Traction Works
- Traction is a model of resource sharing. Leaders share their lives, social networks and/or homes with individuals in need. Leaders often absorb the costs of mortgages, utilities, home repairs, internet access, furniture, trips and food in their particular homes. Friends and churches of leaders also join in to share resources to support Traction residents.
- The hope of a Traction leader is to provide individuals with their basic needs (food, safety, belonging) so they can begin to focus on their goals, hopes and dreams.
- Leaders find joy in
- 1) witnessing the miracle of resources multiplying when in faith they offer to share them with their neighbors and
- 2) seeing how just how far individuals can go once they stop spinning their wheels and get a little “Traction.”